Desserts have got to be one of the trickiest things, at least for me, to find yummy, naturally gluten-free recipes of. It doesn’t help that I’m also sugar-free and have a whole litany of food allergies. Makes desserts, well, challenging to find.
When I was a kid my grandma made the best apple dumplings every year during the holidays, and I’ve been wanting something similar that’d be gluten-free, sugar-free, and hopefully less labor intensive. A pretty high order.
Pinterest provided a good starting point though when I stumbled across an apple recipe. I altered it a bit–the apples are baked, mine’s sugar-free, along with a couple other alterations. So Mr. Munger, the fiancé, and I tried it out when he was in the area this last weekend. And it was a huge hit, even with the wheat-eaters. Its picture really doesn’t do it justice.
- 6 large apples (personally, I like red apples)
- 1 and 1/2 tablespoon Splenda® (or sugar)
- 1 and 1/2 tablespoon cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon ginger
- 1/8 teaspoon nutmeg
- Vanilla ice cream (make sure it’s gluten-free!)
- Caramel topping (be sure that this one’s gluten-free too, and if you want it to be sugar-free buy the kind sweetened with Spenda®)
- Cut the tops of apples the way you would a pumpkin (enough so that the hole is big enough to allow you to hollow out the insides but still leaving the majority of the apple intact).
- Slowly, carefully hollow out each apple using a metal tablespoon or melon baller. Unlike a pumpkin, the skin on the apples is fragile so don’t go too quickly or you might end up with a hole. (Don’t worry if it looks uneven on the inside because no one will see it anyway.)
- Mix the Spenda®/sugar, cinnamon, ginger, and nutmeg together in a small bowl. And then rub mixture on the inside of all of the apples so that they all have a coating.
- Set the oven for 350 degrees F. And bake for 25 to 30 minutes. (The trick is to have your apples soft enough to easily eat while also being stable enough to hold together.)
- Once baked, immediately fill with the vanilla ice cream of your choosing (vanilla bean or French vanilla are my favorites) and top with warm caramel.
- Serve immediate. And enjoy.